Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Favorite Scare Zones of all time?

Jul 20, 2013
Someplace I think
I thought this would be an interesting question to ask. From your first HHN to now, which Scare Zones do you consider to be your favorites?

You can rank them any way you want, though I'll rank mine by year.

1998: Midway of the Bizarre
1999: Midway of the Bizarre (again)
2000: Apocalypse Island
2001: Nightmare Alley
2002: Island Under Siege
2003: Immortal Island
2004: Fright Yard/Field of Screams (tie)
2005: Cemetery Mines
2006: Deadtropolis: Zombie Siege
2007: The zone that was in Central Park, I guess?
2008: Asylum in Wonderland
2009: War of the Living Dead
2010: 20 Years of Fear/Fear Revealed
2011: Acid Assault
2012: ...
2013: The Farm

Of all time...hmmmmmm

2006: Deadtropolis: Zombie Siege
2007: Troupe Macabre (Central Park zone)
2008: SkoolHouse and American Gothic
2009: Horrorwood Die In
2010: 20 Years of Fear Revealed
2011: Acid Assault
2012: Traditionals
2013: Fall of Atlanta

Last edited:
Hmmmm...

2012: Beasts & Dragon Warriors
2011: 7 & Nightmaze (fun as hell, IMO)
2010: Twenty Years of Fear & Fear Revealed
2009: Horrorwood Die In
2008: Asylum in Wonderland & Skoolhouse

2008 - tossup. So many fantastic zones. Every one stood out in their own way and provided something unique... Skoolhouse and American Gothic were the scariest for me, Fractured Tales provided the best photo opportunities, Path of the Wicked and Asylum were both bizarre eye candy.
2009 - Semi-weak year for zones. War of the Living Dead accomplished the tank, bunkers, zombie soldiers and a working flamethrower... and it had some good scares to boot. The Shadows of the Past zone in Sting Alley introduced for the final weekend was pretty spooky and photo heaven. Horrorwood was pretty great, too.
2010 - Easily FEAR Revealed - icon central, tons of visual splendor, strong execution... if only FEAR actually had a point besides being a photo op. Ignoring that blunder, it's a really well-decorated zone with a great variety of fan favorite characters. Twenty Years of Fear is a close second, but it lacked the amount of iconic characters.
2011 - 7. My favorite zone, to date. Unprecedented level of energy and chemistry in the casts. The evolution of the zone throughout the night, coupled with the music choices, made this near perfect.
2012 - Har. Har har. Um...I found all of the legions extremely disappointing, but the Traditionals and Vampires at least managed to scare me occasionally.
2013 - Uhm... again, kind of at a loss here. I guess Fall of Atlanta due to the sheer scale... lot of aggressive actors here, which I appreciate. The photo ops in the Woodlands were neat, too.

Too lazy to break down year by year, but 7, Path of the Wicked, Saws & Steam, and whatever they called Toon Lagoon with all the fog and lasers. Honorable mentions to "Fractured Fairy Tales" (?, in the Kid Zone) and Grown Evil, even tho I think I'm in the minority in liking either.

Too lazy to break down year by year, but 7, Path of the Wicked, Saws & Steam, and whatever they called Toon Lagoon with all the fog and lasers. Honorable mentions to "Fractured Fairy Tales" (?, in the Kid Zone) and Grown Evil, even tho I think I'm in the minority in liking either.

Loved both of those, GE was the only zone worth anything that year to me

Not sure which year or their names but here are some memorable ones for me.

Toon Lagoon foamed out was pretty wild to see.
Which ever year had the rock guys, tree guys and dinos jumping out at Islands of Adventure. Seeing them jump out at unsuspecting people has been one of the best memories ive had of seeing people jump out of their shoes

Not sure which year or their names but here are some memorable ones for me.

Toon Lagoon foamed out was pretty wild to see.
Which ever year had the rock guys, tree guys and dinos jumping out at Islands of Adventure. Seeing them jump out at unsuspecting people has been one of the best memories ive had of seeing people jump out of their shoes

I believe you're thinking of Treaks and Foons and JP Extinction from 2002. That was easily one of the best years for scare zones.

2002- Island Under Siege & Treaks and Foons (I like bubbles..)
2003- Immortal Island
2004- Field of Screams and Fright Yard (Just to see some fellow fans up on the wall)
2005- Cemetary Mines, those masks were creepy as hell.
2006- A "Meh" Scarezone year
2007- While it was cool to see the whole event be a "Carnival" (especially the entrance) it wasn't executed right.
2008- Prob my favorite year of scarezones, loved them all for different reasons.
2009- Another strong year. Horrorwood, Hacktion, & War of the Living Dead
2010- Again, strong year. Loved Esquelueto for it's uniqueness, 20 Years for it's nostalgia, Zombie Gras for the zany fun, and Saws'n'Steam for the gore and look.
2011- Absolutely loved 7, Grown Evil was creepily great too.
2012- :lol:
2013- It was an improvement from 2012, and some of the set-ups were great, but after the first or 2nd run through, it wore out it's welcome. Too much zombie.

Ohhh me like!

By year,

2002: Island under Siege
2003: Night Prey
2004: Fright Yard
2005: Cemetery Mines
2006: Harvest of Souls
2007: Treaks and Foons
2008: Asylum in Wonderland but as Bri stated an excellent year for Scarezones
2009: War of the Living Dead
2010: Saws and Steam
2011: 7
2012: Beasts if I had to pick
2013: Campsite again if I had to pick

Top 5 of all time for me
1. Island under Siege
2. War of the Living Dead
3. Night Prey
4. Asylum in Wonderland
5. Island of Evil Souls

So glad I'm not the only one here that absolutely loved Island Under Siege, as it's always stood out to me as one of my greatest HHN memories. Seeing Marvel Island erupting in chaos and flames with a bunch of supervillains running around was just pure awesomeness. And in a way it was actually a shame, since the Maximum Carnage house was so underwhelming in comparison.

2010: Fear Revealed and 20 Years of Fear
2011: NIGHTMAZE AKA THE GOAT SCAREZONE OF ALL TIME, and 7
2012: dem BEASTS tho
2013: Nothing (The Purge at HHNH would get the vote from me)

2002 - JP Extinction
2003 - Immortal Island
2004 - Fright Yard & Field of Screams
2005 - Cemetery Mines
2006 - Deadtropolis
2007 - Huh?
2008 - The Skoolhouse & Asylum in Wonderland
2009 - Lights, Camera, Hacktion! (War was a close second)

The HHN Dark Years Begin...

2010 - 20 Years of Fear
2011 - Grown Evil
2012 - Meh.
2013 - Survivor Camp I guess.... *fart sound*

Last edited:
Again, apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead...

My top 15:
15. NightMaze (XXI/2011) - I give them credit for trying something new. Going through without a large crowd was fun.
14. Fear Revealed (XX/2010) - Fear himself was just okay. His minions + all of the Icon vignettes were great.
13. War of the Living Dead (XIX/2009) - Loved the concept, stood out amongst some poor zones that year.
12. 7 (XXI/2011) - Didn't love this one as much as most, but the concept was a good one.
11. All Nite Die-In (XXV/2015) - Getting up close and personal with some favorite horror icons was a lot of fun. The B&W cast made this zone special.
10. Blood Masquerade (XVI/2006) - Alluring/sexy vampires as distractions. Statue scares. Bungee scare.
9. Fright Yard (XIV/2004) - Mad Max-ish feeling, complete with flamethrowers.
8. Shadows of the Past (XIX/2009) - Final weekend zone with all of the Icons in Sting Alley. Fun.
7. HHN: 20 Years of Fear (XX/2010) - Loved seeing so many favorites from the past.
6. Path of the Wicked (XVIII/2008) - Flying Monkeys! Amazing costumes.
5. Field of Screams (XIV/2004) - Would be closer to my #1 had the hurricanes not ripped through the cornfield just prior to the event opening.
4. The Skoolhouse (XVIII/2008) - Great street props + trick or treating + initial appearance of Central Park jack-o-lanterns with the 'Bloody Mary' blackout.
3. Asylum in Wonderland (XVIII/2008) - Awesome lighting and great scareactors.
2. Harvest of the Souls (XVI/2006) - Loved the lighting and especially the scarecrows.
1. Midway of Dr. Morose (X/2000) - Amity + copious amounts of fog, what more could one ask for?