New Animation Studio Store | Inside Universal Forums

New Animation Studio Store

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos, but Cartooniversal has construction walls up inside of the shop. I'm not sure just how far they extend and what exactly is inaccessible to guests, but while walking to WaterWorld, I could see that half of the Betty Boop section of the store was cut in half by the walls.

Since they're basically done with Springfield and Supercharged is now testing, I think they're gonna start finally moving their attention towards the HoH replacement land and some of the surrounding shops. First thing that needs to go is the Cartooniversal sign (very corny) and the building's cottage esthetic.

Since walls have now appeared around the large planter in front of Cartooniversal could we start seeing some changes to the store soon? The other side of the street is pretty much complete so this seems like the next logical place to see changes. They removed some of the trees behind the structure and the large planter looks to be on its way out so could this be a sign of a much larger structure being built here? Just food for thought. This is just a rough concept of what I think they're doing. 

24610275904_7c92be2e79_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well; what makes me interested is what exactly would be the replacement. Personally; i hope its another entertainment venue something like a updated NBCUniversal Experience.

Reactions: chris.g
Since walls have now appeared around the large planter in front of Cartooniversal could we start seeing some changes to the store soon? The other side of the street is pretty much complete so this seems like the next logical place to see changes. They removed some of the trees behind the structure and the large planter looks to be on its way out so could this be a sign of a much larger structure being built here? Just food for thought. This is just a rough concept of what I think they're doing. 

Where did you get this map?

Where did you get this map?

If i had to wage (i was going to make my own personal guess, but due to time..) he just used Snipping tool and Adobe Photoshop. Quite the good things you can do on Photoshop..yes..

What makes me curious about is if they'll keep the Art-Deco theme going or if they'll make it work with the NY/Metropolitan sets. Just something to consider there, I presume.

If i had to wage (i was going to make my own personal guess, but due to time..) he just used Snipping tool and Adobe Photoshop. Quite the good things you can do on Photoshop..yes..

What makes me curious about is if they'll keep the Art-Deco theme going or if they'll make it work with the NY/Metropolitan sets. Just something to consider there, I presume.

Well i meant the map part i can see Flight of the Hippogriff on there.

Yes I got the aerial photos from Nearmap. Made the rest in Photoshop with the Pen tool.

I'm positive they would keep the Hollywood-Deco theming since it's right across the street from the new façades.

Yes I got the aerial photos from Nearmap. Made the rest in Photoshop with the Pen tool.

I'm positive they would keep the Hollywood-Deco theming since it's right across the street from the new façades.

I can't really access it so can you photoshop an updated aerial view of the park?

So, with Cartooniversal possibly being taken over by a new structure..I've thought of this as a possibility.

kKNyt9r.png

To me, I am starting to think that they are wanting to make a another entertainment venue for something that has capacity. So to me, I think that it would make sense to allocate a good portion of this space for something that has a good capacity. What it could be, I could think due to the area of it being a revival of the NBCUniversal Experience, as it would add for the studios past; and then to add more for the theme park itself. It could also be a great way to honor the past of the studio itself, and that'd be a great plus.

Atleast; that's my guess, as it would make sense to get something else with Capacity in the park. 

Very neat and clean.  I have use Photoshop as well.

Thanks!

I also feel that any new structure of any sort will take up the space originally for the Amphitheater bridge.  I only hope they enlarge the Waterworld restrooms in the process.

Great point. I left that space open just because I feel like they would need another pathway to access that backstage area. It's going to be interesting what they do. Maybe this is where Hello Kitty will go?

Nah, probably just small little refurbishments to the store. They can't have any construction walls up when Potter opens. 

Reactions: Aaron
That huge repaved area with the outdoor seating where the old Gibson path used to sit looked a little odd to me. The last time we saw something like that was when the Studio Tour restrooms were knocked down and replaced with temporary seating during Grinchmas, and that area ended up getting a makeover. I can definitely see this store getting expanded to take full advantage of that new space (in addition to re-themed in order to match the rest of the Art Deco look of Universal Blvd), or knocked down entirely and replaced by a new structure that's built from the ground up. We're still supposed to be getting the Hello Kitty store/experience, so I think they could place that here.

The current look of the store just screams USH 1.0, which is an era that Universal is trying to quickly forget. It's the last piece of the park's main stretch that hasn't been drastically remodeled. I get that they want the park looking nice for Potter's opening, but are they really gonna leave it as is come April 7th?