Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Can We Talk About Joe Rohde For a Minute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skold

VIP Member
Feb 17, 2016
i apologize in advance to the people that compare him to Tony Baxter, but my perspective is decidedly different.

What has he done that was actually good?

- Yeti
- DinoLand. While this did certainly achieve the "roadside carnival" vibe that he was going for, really ? Yes, that simulated roadtop that can withstand so many steps a day sure is great...
- Dinosaur. Haven't been since the refurb, hopefully the AAs and lighting work now.
- Lucky the dinosaur. Didn't last a year.
- Beastly Kingdom
- Discovery River Boats
- Kali... maybe half the ride works
- Kilimanjaro - the whole story line was taken out, with the bridge.
- Rivers of Light!

For a guy who supposedly has such "vision", the track record speaks for itself.

Asia and Africa look fantastic though, so don't me wrong. The theming is unbelievable. And this is still my favorite WDW park! :p

Think the dude is getting a pass, though, and i hope he proves me wrong with Pandora.

/me ducks all the rotten vegetables

Joe Rohde is perfect for culture and nature projects, but for something such as Marvel (which he leads) is just bizzare. Also, most of his projects have gotten way over budget and/or cost way more than they should have a $100mil for Everest, $1bil for Avatar...

I like him conceptually, and oftentimes enjoy his level of meticulous design. But he created the incestual carny mess that is DinoRama and is leading that Guardians of the Galaxy nonsense, so he's got a big set of demerits in my book. He's ambitious, but sometimes the projects suffer as a result.

Interesting to note, also, that Disney's big culture-head is a white cis male.

i apologize in advance to the people that compare him to Tony Baxter, but my perspective is decidedly different.

- Yeti
- DinoLand. While this did certainly achieve the "roadside carnival" vibe that he was going for, really ? Yes, that simulated roadtop that can withstand so many steps a day sure is great...
- Dinosaur. Haven't been since the refurb, hopefully the AAs and lighting work now.
- Beastly Kingdom
- Discovery River Boats
- Rivers of Light!

Asia and Africa look fantastic though, so don't me wrong. The theming is unbelievable. And this is still my favorite WDW park! :p

Think the dude is getting a pass, though, and i hope he proves me wrong with Pandora.

Malestrom, lots of scenic work for New Fantasyland... in Disneyland, Pleasure Island, and way more. He didn't just burst onto the scene in 1998 with Animal Kingdom, he's been around for a long time.

- Yeti
- Beastly Kingdom
- Discovery River Boats
- Rivers of Light!

Yeti isn't really an accomplishment....design is one thing but it needs to be reliable as well

Interesting to note, also, that Disney's big culture-head is a white cis male.

Anddddd..?...?I hate when people use that phrase as if being born a "white cis male" is a disqualification or unacceptable for certain positions. Interesting to note how people can make these comments about white people and it not be seen as discriminatory. All of this coming from a Cuban cis male.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge Joe Rohde fan or anything, but in my opinion the Adventurers Club was probably one of Disney's best ever themed attractions.

Anddddd..?...?I hate when people use that phrase as if being born a "white cis male" is a disqualification or unacceptable for certain positions. Interesting to note how people can make these comments about white people and it not be seen as discriminatory. All of this coming from a Cuban cis male.

All one needs to do is take a look at Disney's executive hiring history within the past 30 years and note the trend of white cis men, still slowly waning. It was a comment based on the imperative need to integrate bright minds from all over to lead the creation of theme parks, not just the white ones. Especially when the retention of culture is vital. Hire a highly qualified minority to lead a diverse group to think intersectionally (not just through Eurocentric perception and appropriation), and they'll create even more amazing things.

All one needs to do is take a look at Disney's executive hiring history within the past 30 years and note the trend of white cis men, still slowly waning. It was a comment based on the imperative need to integrate bright minds from all over to lead the creation of theme parks, not just the white ones. Especially when the retention of culture is vital. Hire a highly qualified minority to lead a diverse group to think intersectionally (not just through Eurocentric perception and appropriation), and they'll create even more amazing things.

Political Correctness at its finest. Why not just hire highly qualified people who can bring the best possible opportunities? A "minority" shouldn't be a job requirement and neither should sexual orientation or your "gender identity". I'd feel uncomfortable being hired to fill that minority slot. Hire me for my skills.

Rohde has dedicated his life by traveling and exploring different countries and cultures. Check out his website. But then again, he's a cis white male so it may not be fitting.
JoeRohde.net

This cis white male talk belongs in another forum site, not here. You can probably find one ran by a Californian liberal university.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.