Bob Iger Running for President? | Inside Universal Forums

Bob Iger Running for President?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is with celebrities/businessmen running for president these days? I believe Trump, Oprah, Dwayne Johnson, Kanye West, Iger (obviously), and a bunch others have stated they may run for 2020 or 2024.

If anything I can see our infrastructure greatly improving under Iger, and he'd make sure our international perception stays relatively positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
What is with celebrities/businessmen running for president these days? I believe Trump, Oprah, Dwayne Johnson, Kanye West, Iger (obviously), and a bunch others have stated they may run for 2020 or 2024.

If anything I can see our infrastructure greatly improving under Iger, he'd make sure our international perception stays relatively positive.
Trump proved it's possible to get elected without having any experience whatsoever.

The bar has been substantially lowered.

Iger's stated in the past that he wanted to run for the Senate, so this Presidential possibility makes sense. He was a big contributor & supporter of Clinton in the 2016 election. And as NBT said, the bar has now been lowered substantially.

The problem is that with the rumors of Iger reupping on his contract that a departure for an office run will leave TWDC with a vacuum at the top. Since they forced Staggs out there is no clear successor and they have about a year to make one evident. This could cause a real disruption in the governance of the company which could impact the valuation in a significant way.

With DIS at a lifetime high I would not want to be a stockholder for the next few years.

The problem is that with the rumors of Iger reupping on his contract that a departure for an office run will leave TWDC with a vacuum at the top. Since they forced Staggs out there is no clear successor and they have about a year to make one evident. This could cause a real disruption in the governance of the company which could impact the valuation in a significant way.

With DIS at a lifetime high I would not want to be a stockholder for the next few years.
Whether Iger runs or not, his contract is up next year and he's always planned on leaving. They are looking for a successor, they've obviously been unsuccessful so far.

Iger's Administration & Cabinet; * Minnie: First Lady
*Goofy: Vice President
*Dory: Secretary of Education
*Uncle Scrooge: Treasury Secretary
*Gaston; Secretary of Defense
*The Beast: Chief Advisor
*Peter Pan: Aeronautics & Space program
*Pinocchio: Minister of Truth , Propaganda and Campaign Manager
*Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: Media jailed here
*Pandora AA: Environmental Protection Secretary
*Donald Duck: Ambassador to China
A pretty talented bunch. ;)

The "bar" has been in the same place for many, many years. There only like 3 requirements to actually run as president.

And no thanks.... Ivankas got 2020. Lol

I don't believe we're referring to actual requirements. More like the general expectations of the Presidency - relevant national experience, basic understanding of governmental principles, at least one degree related to policy (and typically multiple degrees in law). When thinking about what previous President's have had in their background, this is not the same level as we've seen historically.

Reactions: Nick
I like how some of you are conveniently leaving out Barack Obama's pre-presidential resume, while saying the private citizen lacks experience. Makes me want to question what other kind of crap you're trying to spin on these forums. :shrug:

Reactions: Andysol
I like how some of you are conveniently leaving out Barack Obama's pre-presidential resume, while saying the private citizen lacks experience. Makes me want to question what other kind of crap you're trying to spin on these forums. :shrug:

Fact: From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. While he taught Constitutional law from 1996-2004, he was a member of the Illinois State Senate then ran for US Senate in 2004. He won US Senate, then ran for president in 2008.

I.e, he was part of the government from 1996-all the way to his presidency. He knew how government works, had a degree in law, the thing he lacked was diplomacy and international experience. You don't have to like him but if we are gonna play with resumes lets not discredit and scream fake news at factual information.

While he taught Constitutional law from 1996-2004, he was a member of the Illinois State Senate then ran for US Senate in 2004. He won US Senate, then ran for president in 2008.

Never understood why experience in the Legislative Branch is considered relevant to be head of the Executive Branch. Role of the president much more akin to a governor ... or a CEO. But I digress.

Two factors at play here: first, Trump has innate media saavy, his son-in-law is a legit poli sci genius, and together they eked out the closest of wins against a fading political party and an unlikable opponent. Still, he made it look easy in retrospect. So now every 0.1%er with an ego--and when you have that much money, an ego is assured--thinks they can do it too. This is akin to Jordan, Tebow et al thinking they can just pick up a bat and play major league ball because they're good at another sport.

Second, the Democrats have no "bench." No up-and-coming rising star to rally behind. (Partially because the Clintons didn't want that threat, partially because it's become a geographically limited regional party.) Their only hope is a candidate with instant name recognition--and a boatload of his or her own money to drop--who can instantly dominate the primary like Trump did in 2016--or W did in 2000--rather than having half a dozen or more candidates endure a damaging, expensive intraparty fight.

No, I agree with you Frogki. Not that we should be experimenting with presidential elections - but it'd be really interesting to see the differences between a Trump agenda and an Iger agenda. The biggest problem I've had with Disney in the past with their parks is that they rob Peter to pay Paul. WDW makes all the money and then it gets dispersed out to the sister resorts rather than being reinvested into the home resort. The last 20 years of WDW aren't exactly their finest.

Reactions: Frogki
The Iger agenda would probably mean bigger,stronger government giving more people entitlements, leading people to government dependency. The Democratic platform pretty much.

I'm all open to discussion but this thread will most likely be closed soon.

Okay, I made my previous comment because tensions rise when we get into any sort of discussion referring to politics. There are a number of issues which can, and certainly should, be discussed.
That being said, the reason the World News thread was shut down was due to the political/partisan discussion. It's always been seen as difficult or nigh impossible to have a reasoned, rational political discussion, and on a board where we pride ourselves in civility, I truly hope that it is possible. But the fact is it remains difficult and I don't want this thread shut down as well.
I am pursuing a career in social education. I wish to teach history, political science, and a number of other subjects. So I have a great deal of passion for the issues discussed here.

I suppose I'm rambling again. Again, on a forum wherein we pride ourselves on civil discourse, I hope this post comes across with the good intentions it has. I wish to understand my fellow posters better and I do not wish to see another thread outside of theme park discussion shut down because we cannot civilly discuss the world. It matters - we're all human here, and we all (I hope) care about each other. This board is like a second home for me. So let's all think carefully before we post and work towards better understanding of one another rather than trying to be understood.
That was way off topic - back to Iger. I don't pretend to know enough about the man to make any clear cut judgements. But I believe we must strive towards people who have a clear understanding of international relations and the broader workings of our government.

Again, on a forum wherein we pride ourselves on civil discourse, I hope this post comes across with the good intentions it has. I wish to understand my fellow posters better and I do not wish to see another thread outside of theme park discussion shut down because we cannot civilly discuss the world. It matters - we're all human here, and we all (I hope) care about each other. This board is like a second home for me. So let's all think carefully before we post and work towards better understanding of one another rather than trying to be understood.
That was way off topic - back to Iger. I don't pretend to know enough about the man to make any clear cut judgements. But I believe we must strive towards people who have a clear understanding of international relations and the broader workings of our government.
I agree with you- and I, too, care about each other and wish to have civil discourse. But when the most liked post on this thread- and the third one at that says this:

Trump proved it's possible to get elected without having any experience whatsoever.

The bar has been substantially lowered.

Then how can we have a reasonable discussion? He didn't say "no political experience"- he said "no experience". And while he says the bar has substantially been lowered- I think it has been raised- significantly. Thats something you and I and everyone else in the thread that disagrees with me will never agree on. It's truly an "agree to disagree" situation through all of this discourse.
I agree with the travel ban- you won't. There were a lot of those in France that would have agreed with you 5 years ago- but have since changed their mind. I agree with the bathroom bill- you don't. I agree with the UIL's decision in Texas to use "birth certificate" to identify gender- you don't. And the list will go on.

As for Iger- I think if he were to win, he would find a way to acquire other countries that would benefit our country as a whole. That's what he's best at.

Status
Not open for further replies.