Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Anybody ever been to SFMM?

Apr 17, 2011
West Palm Beach
Just curious if anyone's ever been to SFMM? And if so, any tips? I'm going to Vegas in September for a week, and am taking a day to headover to SFMM(it's about a 4 hour drive). Obviously as someone who enjoys a good coaster over a well-themed ride, it's easy to see why I chose SFMM over Disneyland and Universal Hollywood. I've never been, but have heard horror stories of long wait times. In September it's only open on weekends, so I'm wondering if I might have to invest in Six Flags' overpriced Flash Pass. Anybody ever use the Flash Pass system? Thanks for any input.

Ride X first, then tatsu, then Superman. If you only have one day, buy the flash pass. That park is like the park of no Gods no matter what you do, (without flashpass) you will get caught in huge lines.

Yeah I got tips, before you leave Vegas EAT :lol: There is nothing, well almost nothing to eat in-between cities. youhow2 hit it dead on with getting the Flash Pass! And if your going to ride X2 get the Flash Pass + X2 option, oh yeah they charge extra to add X2 to the FP. People run to X2 every morning like they do Millennium Force at Cedar Point. Like any other theme park make sure you have a game plan and stick to it! Get to the park before opening, have your tickets and FP's purchased and reserved as this will put you ahead of the California crowd. The park is the butthole of theme park operations so any time saved will hugely benefit your visit and the number of coasters you can ride. Park ops are real bad were talking one train operations when you have 3+ hour waits. Its a nightmare! Its the main reason this past October my wife and I skipped SFMM for an extra day at the other parks. Regardless though plan ahead and make the best of it, come in with low expectations and you will have a blast!

I went in the summer right after Tatsu opened. Lines are REALLY awful. I'd invest in the flash pass just so you know you're gonna be able to hit everything. It's a great coaster park. Hit X2 first, then Tatsu, then Superman. Riddler and Goliath are also amazing coasters. There's a Marie Callender's not too far outside the park and if you've never been there, it's the king of chicken pot pie and dessert pies.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's safe to say that I'm going to be investing in a Flash Pass.. Besides all the coasters, I'm also looking forward to Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom. A 400 ft, 85 mph drop tower opening this summer! I'm pretty stoked.

I was unaware Marie Callender's had their own restaurant. I love their frozen chicken pot pies, I'm definitely gonna have to check that out.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's safe to say that I'm going to be investing in a Flash Pass.. Besides all the coasters, I'm also looking forward to Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom. A 400 ft, 85 mph drop tower opening this summer! I'm pretty stoked.

I was unaware Marie Callender's had their own restaurant. I love their frozen chicken pot pies, I'm definitely gonna have to check that out.

Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom looks pretty raw. Oh yeah, Marie Callender's is only out west, but take the quality of their frozen pies and multiply it by about 100, and you get the quality of the in-restaurant stuff. There's a restaurant a few miles from SFMM.

Don't eat at Marie Callender's Go for Claim Jumper. Huge portions, about 5 minutes from the park and some damn good food. Whiskey Chicken and/or the ribs... The fries have me dreaming about them ever since I lived there 10 years ago. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Don't eat at Marie Callender's Go for Claim Jumper. Huge portions, about 5 minutes from the park and some damn good food. Whiskey Chicken and/or the ribs... The fries have me dreaming about them ever since I lived there 10 years ago. Trust me, you won't regret it.

But they don't have pie... :look:

Went a few years back...this place is a coaster lovers Mecca!

Even though it scared the crap out of me, do not miss X2! I'd also recommend Superman, Goliath, Apocalypse, Tatsu, and Riddlers Revenge. I've heard Green Lantern is cool though I wouldn't know since it wasn't there when I visited...Batman is your standard invert, Colossus is decent though more rough than Apocalypse...Ninja a classic suspended...and now Full Throttle....

Enjoy your visit! Take pictures!

I've been to SFMM twice. Once during Fright Fest on an October Saturday and it was jammed. I agree with the others on X2. Hit that first after getting your Flash Pass. I bought the Gold pass and it was perfect. Worth every penny. Expect Green Lantern to go down often and save it for last because there's a better than even chance that despite your best efforts, you're not going to get to ride it anyway. My basic strategy is that X2 is in one corner of the park. After hitting that, go around in the circle all the way around. Depending on when you get there in September you might get to ride Colossus backwards. That is awesome and super rough on your body. lol

All that being said, I can't speak too much about Lex Luthor, my boyfriend was way too chicken to ride and it was an upcharge on the Gold Flash Pass and Full Throttle was built after my last trip, but it looks like a promising coaster.

HAVE FUN!!!

are the lines bad on a sunday in November? I will be in LA November 18th and I could give a crap about Disneyland and Universal (I have AP to UOR). And I love roller coasters.

are the lines bad on a sunday in November? I will be in LA November 18th and I could give a crap about Disneyland and Universal (I have AP to UOR). And I love roller coasters.

I'd argue you should give a crap about Disneyland, but anyway lines shouldn't be too bad just beware short operating hours.

I actually happen to have a Six Flags gold pass, so yes, I actually do happen to go to SFMM....fairly often, actually.

I go to a school literally down the street called "College of the Canyons". Whenever I have time between my two classes, I go to SFMM, get a few coaster in, and then rush back for my class. I have to balance my homework throughout the week during my downtime to be able to do that, but it's nice.

Overall, I think SFMM is my least favorite of the SoCal theme parks just because it feels more like a simple amusement park. I mean, I like it for its good coasters, but that's it. That would be the only good thing I have to say about the park. If you're not a coaster person, don't bother with this park. I like to go there just to get a few thrill rides in before my class...and it's good exercise getting to run from coaster to coaster. :D