Antojitos: Authentic Mexican Food | Inside Universal Forums

Antojitos: Authentic Mexican Food

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Felipe

V.I.P. Member
Sep 2, 2009
The Forbidden Forest
¡Arriba Antojitos! ¡Orale!

Today, February 5, 2014, marks the Grand Opening of Antojitos: Authentic Mexican Food, the newest dining spot at Universal Orlando's CityWalk. As this area of the resort undergoes its biggest renovation since opening, Antojitos replaces Latin Quarter, another restaurant with a Latin flare. Even after a very recent Churrascaria addition--but in true Universal fashion--they did not hesitate to Rip! Tear! Kill! and make space for a vibrant new addition. Antojitos definitely brings with it a whole new energy and features another side of cocina latina, one which should prove to be more popular with locals and worldwide visitors alike: Mexican fare!

This past Sunday I had the great pleasure of enjoying a dinner at Antojitos with some friends. More specifically, we actually dined at Antojitos Up, the upscale boutique restaurant within the restaurant. Located upstairs, Antojitos Up offers more sophisticated dishes at a slightly higher price. But, whether you eat upstairs or in the main floor, you will get authentic Mexican food that is fresh, bursting with flavor and with that unmistakable homey comfort-food feel that Mexican food is known for.

AUp-020214-001_zpscf2fda3f.jpg

AUp-020214-007_zps6203afb1.jpg

AUp-020214-024_zpsbbcc588f.jpg

AUp-020214-025_zps5cad41d9.jpg

AUp-020214-026_zpsa3ac0e97.jpg

AUp-020214-027_zps963277a9.jpg

The aesthetics of Antojitos are unlike anything else at CityWalk, and although some might not love the style, it undeniably stands out. The architecture and colors outside grab your attention from most places within Universal Orlando’s shopping and dining district. Inside, the decor gives Antojitos a lively and cheerful atmosphere. There are traditional Mexican references throughout, from Mariachi to Dia de Los Muertos. Downstairs, the look is very bright and fun, with somewhat of an urban feel. The upstairs also has pops of color, but it features more of an elegant and subdued look, while still retaining the Mexican spirit. Both areas share modern rustic touches of wood and metal, which help balance the more eccentric parts of the interior decoration. Personally, I am partial to the rustic style, so I enjoyed this very much, but I was captivated even by the more bizarre pieces like tattooed dolls displayed on a wall downstairs. Also adding to the atmosphere, the music was very peculiar but totally fitting, in a mix of Spanish versions of classic songs, as well as some Latin remixes of modern pop records. There is also a stage set downstairs, and judging by everything else at Antojitos, it should have some interesting performances. The interior looked completely finished, but because we were visiting during the restaurant's soft opening, there were still some aspects of the exterior that were unfinished, such as a missing taco bus by the entrance and a weather-vane with the Antojitos logo atop the highest point of the building. Those were in place as of yesterday, though.

AUp-020214-058_zpsa91c6489.jpg

AUp-020214-078_zps63a72419.jpg

AUp-020214-074_zpsa6f33824.jpg

AUp-020214-075_zps75d38157.jpg

AUp-020214-011_zpsee3b8f7a.jpg

AUp-020214-014_zpsa048ca71.jpg

AUp-020214-015_zpsb157a9b2.jpg

AUp-020214-017_zps03c61472.jpg

AUp-020214-018_zpsd8d1fa05.jpg

AUp-020214-063_zps307ddcfb.jpg

Aside from final construction details, nothing else let it show that this was a new establishment. My Antojitos experience was completely smooth, seamless and exceeding of all expectations. I didn't think this would be the case for a new restaurant, but everyone seemed to be trained to perfection and executing their jobs flawlessly, as if they had been doing it for years. Each and every staff member that I came in contact with was prompt, courteous, friendly and eager to make my experience special. And they succeeded! Particularly our server, Rick, who we spent the most time with, was unbelievably knowledgeable, attentive to our every need, and treated us like we were the most special guests. I cannot say enough great things about him, and look forward to coming back to get more excellent service like the one he provided us. Just like the service, the food did not disappoint. Everything was truly amazing. The complimentary nachos and salsa were a wonderful welcome and start to our meal, which was followed by more fresh and delicious food with each dish, from the appetizers, to the entrees, and the deserts.

AUp-020214-006_zps039f953e.jpg

AUp-020214-022_zps259aa48f.jpg

AUp-020214-029_zpsa731afa4.jpg

AUp-020214-030_zpsba44d71e.jpg

Everyone’s food looked beautiful and the presentation of every dish was impeccable. My friends had the Esquites Asados, the Paella Mexicana, and the Menonita Shrimp. All received the best comments and reviews! I had the Chicken Adobo Salad, which consisted of a grilled chicken breast on a bed of fresh vegetables and fruits, with a garnish of quinoa. I really enjoyed every bite, especially the mix of flavors and the great sear on my succulent piece of chicken. It was also my first time having quinoa, so that was interesting and I actually really liked it! To continue my adventurous dining affair, I could not miss out on dessert. Ever since I heard about the Molten Cajeta de Leche and its sour-cream ice cream, I was really intrigued and anxious to try it, so I seized the moment and went for it. Each component in this desert was mouth-watering and together it was just spectacular. The Cajeta or milk-caramel flavored cake and milk-caramel covering were heavenly, but very sweet, so the bitter Mexican chocolate and the tangy sour-cream ice cream created a great balance of flavors. I was pleasantly surprised by the sour-cream ice cream, which I enjoyed even by itself. It was almost like a lemon ice cream in flavor, but with a savory note in addition to the sour tang. I thought it was really special, and I will try to get an extra scoop next time. My friends had the Cheese Flan and the Coffee & Churros for dessert, both of which seemed to be hits, as well. The portion sizes of the main-course dishes might concern some patrons, since certain ones had smaller portions than what we are used to having in American dining, but I have to say that I was satisfied with my main course and desert, so I think they were appropriate portions for a healthy meal. The prices were also appropriate for the level of quality and the setting.

AUp-020214-042_zpsd699e6e3.jpg

AUp-020214-041_zps803ba5fd.jpg

AUp-020214-040_zps01dbe1a6.jpg

AUp-020214-036_zps5819a21b.jpg

AUp-020214-038_zps4bd799af.jpg

AUp-020214-043_zps03e2acd1.jpg

AUp-020214-044_zpsbd50765a.jpg

AUp-020214-045_zps9bbb446c.jpg

AUp-020214-048_zps7491e022.jpg

AUp-020214-050_zps6fdd97e4.jpg

AUp-020214-051_zps6ed12849.jpg

AUp-020214-053_zps41f3b431.jpg

AUp-020214-055_zpsc65898d6.jpg

AUp-020214-056_zps50140ee1.jpg

For those of us who like to imbibe, the alcoholic beverages alone could keep us coming back to Antojitos, between the quality, diversity and amount to choose from. I had the Repo Man and the Mango Caipirinha with dinner. Both of my drinks were very tasty and strong, and the same seemed to be the case with my friends’ drinks. The beverages range in price from very affordable to very expensive. I don’t think I will be having any of the tequila that is upwards of $90 a shot, but the mixed drinks were all very well priced and you will find me having many of those in the future. The staff was specially trained by a tequila connoisseur, and it was interesting to hear about that from our server, Rick. I’m very much looking forward to trying a few different ones in my upcoming visits!

AUp-020214-032_zpsc7cc8186.jpg

AUp-020214-034_zps23f44b69.jpg

AUp-020214-031_zpsf00dcc4c.jpg

AUp-020214-020_zps69f60efd.jpg

By the end of the evening, Antojitos left only the best impression on me. From the atmosphere, to the service, the food and the drinks... it was a home-run and the best experience I've ever had dining out. I am so excited to come back again very soon, to keep trying everything on the food and drink menus, and to get more of the same outstanding service. I am officially a fan and future loyal customer! So, it should go without saying that I highly recommend Antojitos, and I look forward to hearing and reading everyone else's reviews!

¡Andale!

AUp-020214-081_zps629cc6b9.jpg

By the way, HERE are all the pictures from my visit this past Sunday! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Been there three times and it keeps getting better. Tip: you can order a side of corn bread! One of my favorite things on the menu and if you're dining with a large party get the table side guacamole made to taste! You'll thank me later! I swear I'm going to get some more pictures up soon, but I keep ending up at Antojitos instead :doggie:

I definitely need to try the cornbread and table-side guac! :thumbs: There's just so much good stuff to try, it's impossible to try it all in one night :lol:

PS: I forgot to mention it here, but everyone make sure to take advantage of your Annual Pass discounts! :cheers:

Great write up, Felipe. Awesome pictures, too. The vibe of this place is definitely unlike all the commercial chains we see on CityWalk. Loving it.

$13.95 seems a little steep for guac. Is the guac a huge vat of it or is there something else along with it?

The paella and the table side guacamole will definitely make me book a reservation next trip.

Does the main floor serve a variation of the same menu or it's more like tex-mex fast food?

The paella and the table side guacamole will definitely make me book a reservation next trip.

Does the main floor serve a variation of the same menu or it's more like tex-mex fast food?

Totally separate menus

It's a enough guac for four people going heavy on the guacamole

Wow, if I were an everyday guest I would never guess that this was a new restaurant- everything looks like it's been there for years! I cannot wait to consume food at this establishment, but I must anyway :lol:

I agree with Felipe fully, the service is phenomenal. I think they hired internally heavily and then had those Team Members train the new TM's as much as possible. My server/bartender Scott definitely ranks as far as bartenders at UOR. I like any bartender who lets me try tequila just because we strike up good conversation.

I agree with Felipe fully, the service is phenomenal. I think they hired internally heavily and then had those Team Members train the new TM's as much as possible. My server/bartender Scott definitely ranks as far as bartenders at UOR. I like any bartender who lets me try tequila just because we strike up good conversation.

They did...many Pastamore TMs were relocated here.