Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

“Frankenweenie Weekend” Sept 28-30

WDWMagic posted some photos of the Jack and Sally M&G: http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/west-side/news/28sep2012-photos---jack-and-sally-meet-and-greet-at-downtown-disney.htm

idEsVnqpKuMFK.jpg

So TDO thinks the best way to gauge interest in Orlando for Jack Skellington and the Nightmare Before Christmas brand is to set up a M&G for a couple of days at the land of the dead downtown Disney? Sounds to me like someone in Glendale is pushing for TDO to give it a shot and TDO wants no part of it.

That is impressive! Glad to see the fans show TDO what could be at a MK holiday layover. :Skellington:

Hey TDO, see that long long long long long long long...... queue that's FILLED because these characters are actually wanted... Yea... If they suddenly started to appear at Christmas parties this year I actually would have a reason to pay for a ticket rather than skip it this year... that is if they wanted last minute additions...

I got one better,

Disney, if you announce to the world your idiots and have completely blown this opportunity from the beginning I will buy my wife and I annual passes upon my return from the real Disney resort DL no later than Oct 10th!

I'm not joking! :skellington:

I got one better,

Disney, if you announce to the world your idiots and have completely blown this opportunity from the beginning I will buy my wife and I annual passes upon my return from the real Disney resort DL no later than Oct 10th!

and that's after going to the Classic Disneyland Just for a photo, right ;) Not for World of color... Haunted mansion holiday... and a few other things like Ghost Galaxy and whatnot...

I got one better,

What are you on about? There's been long lines throughout this whole weekend event. I'm sure they know how popular Nightmare is and this is a sort of field test to confirm their suspicions. This is just the beginning of Jack and Sally in Florida, I think.

WDI tried to bring the Nightmare overlay to Orlando years ago but TDO keeps saying the characters will not be as well received because most visitors to WDW are foreign or don't know the characters. Fact is Jack Skellington is very well known and has been a marketing and merchandise phenomenon for years.

My point is Disney management has shot themselves in the foot for far to long and it's time capitalize on it. These characters should have be in the MK during Halloween operations for years and yet they half ass it again by shipping them to DTD for their first appearance. If people are willing to wait 3 hours at DTD nearly 20 years after the film was released how could these characters impact ticket sales if you did a Holiday overlay around them at the worlds most visited themepark? Merchandise sales anyone?

California and Japan have shown these overlays and character meet and greets to be an overwhelming success and go as far as adding new features to the overlay each year. There seems to be members at TDO who have their head so far up their asses or IMO are not willing to admit their wrong that they would rather stick to their guns and continue to say it won't work here, when the rest of the Disney parks scratch their heads in bewilderment.

To sum up that rant into one sentence,

TDO has dropped the ball on this from the beginning...

WDI tried to bring the Nightmare overlay to Orlando years ago but TDO keeps saying the characters will not be as well received because most visitors to WDW are foreign or don't know the characters. Fact is Jack Skellington is very well known and has been a marketing and merchandise phenomenon for years.

My point is Disney management has shot themselves in the foot for far to long and it's time capitalize on it. These characters should have be in the MK during Halloween operations for years and yet they half ass it again by shipping them to DTD for their first appearance. If people are willing to wait 3 hours at DTD nearly 20 years after the film was released how could these characters impact ticket sales if you did a Holiday overlay around them at the worlds most visited themepark? Merchandise sales anyone?

California and Japan have shown these overlays and character meet and greets to be an overwhelming success and go as far as adding new features to the overlay each year. There seems to be members at TDO who have their head so far up their asses or IMO are not willing to admit their wrong that they would rather stick to their guns and continue to say it won't work here, when the rest of the Disney parks scratch their heads in bewilderment.

To sum up that rant into one sentence,

TDO has dropped the ball on this from the beginning...

Completely right on all aspects. If they don't bring the Nightmare overlay to HM soon, I wonder what'll be the excuse this time besides the usual "foreigners or guest who come once in a lifetime or not often want to see the original HM". They could make a killing in merchandise alone. Not to mention that they will also sell tons of tickets to Not So Scary and day tickets so people can see the HM overlay. There's no reason or excuse to say that it wouldn't work.

Even with the success of the meet and greet, I don't think we are getting Haunted Mansion Holiday. I do however believe that we will get something Nightmare related around the holiday season.

Trust me. I'm a HUGE Nightmare Before Christmas fan (and I was gutted when I went to DTD and saw Frankenweenie Weekend being advertised when I had tickets to HOS and HHN those nights). I've been going to DLR during the holidays because of their increased offerings, although WDW is a 3.5 hour drive away. But that just goes to show how little they do for Nightmare, other then sell a decent amount of merch. And I'm glad I have my pic with Jack and Sally from DLR (which I waited maybe 2 minutes before).